Friday 23 November 2012

In Which a Package Arrives!



A big red van stopped outside. 
A man came to the door. He had  a parcel for me!
Luckily it did not contain porcelain, or delicate instruments, because it looked like someone had been practicing their throwing skills.

 (but not the catching ones)
Now, I'd been awaiting a package, because the Red Dirt Girl, far away in  Texas,had told me she'd sent me a present. I had no idea what was inside... Until I looked at the sender's label. Ohhhhh!  Zhena's Gypsy Tea!

 Ohhhh!
 And I do so love the Gypsies....

Now, just as described in Proust's  À la recherche du temps perdu, a scent, an aroma, can evoke so much. If it was a movie, there'd be a fuzzy-fade at this point, and The Red Dirt Girl and I would be strolling through the little town of Bastrop, Texas, and into a gallery, a place where artists ply their trades, and there's a store with natural remedies, and teas. And I'm slowly recovering from a very very bad throat infection, my throat feels like its been scoured with broken glass, I can barely eat solids. I'm hoping I might find a natural soothing remedy, and, for sure, some peppermint tea.
In this little store, scented with all manner of herbs and spices, I find Zhena's Gypsy Tea. 
Coconut Chai, Ceylon and Assam black teas, blended with cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and coconut, orange peel, nutmeg, black pepper and cloves. It's just what I need.
Soothing, a sybaritic luxury. I love it.
Back at the Pecan Street Inn, I open my can of teabags and am immediately surrounded by a sense of calm. O zen tea! And so, until I returned home, that scent, that flavour, was the scent of a happy holiday with The Red Dirt Girl, roaming around Texas, having a good time, the best times...

And look what was in the pack!
Excitement!
Quick, get the kettle!

Keep Calm!
Oh my. She's the best, just the best person in the world. I should have known this woman forever. Where has she been all these years? My soulmate!

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. Ohhhh....I love gypsies too ;-)

    Best that you know not of the agony, the blood, the sweat, the tears it took for me to simply place an order with Zhena. Thomas Murphee, head of sales and marketing, became a bit bemused by my constant emails requesting prices and EXACT delivery dates.

    And in the end, Thomas was right - all I had to do was place the order, enter the relevant details and the price appeared (THAT MUCH??? REALLY??? - Oh he's so worth it) and out the parcel went (in an airplane no doubt). I did agonize over delivery. I missed the birthday by about 14 days (note to self for future ...), but my heart was in that parcel and in every cup of coconut chai tea my sweetheart drinks. I really like gifts that keep on giving.

    I'm sorry there was no personal card or note to you - an option Thomas should consider adding in Zhena's online checkout :)

    And this! THIS! I'm smiling ear to ear and so very happy to have made your day. I'm hoping your supply will last you until you arrive here permanently. We'll celebrate your first night in OUR home with a cup of Zhena's Coconut Chai!!

    i<3u
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knock! Knock! Have you got the kettle on? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you get better very soon.

    When are you moving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ASAP!

      Well, it's all in the hands of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

      As soon as they give me the nod, I'll be on my way.
      I promise to be a model citizen.

      Delete
  4. That was a very cool gesture on RDG's part.

    ReplyDelete


Spam will be reported and swiftly deleted. I will put a curse upon you if you post spam links.