Sunday 20 December 2009

What Browser?




Google chrome's ad, here on youtube, is a beautifully made ad. I really love it, clever, witty, improvised, hacked together in the basementy-good.
Only I'm watching it in Firefox. And everything Google is trying to sell here as a virtue in Chrome, Firefox already does for me.
I tried Chrome at beta stage, and wasn't overawed. I tried the current version, just now. Nothing that makes me say Wow!, that's so much better!.

Great ad. Product? um? well, I suppose if you were using internet explorer it might look pretty neat.

I've tried Safari too, and Opera. They're okay, I suppose.
Firefox just works, reliably, quickly, it scrubs ads and banners off the pages before they can load, it's like Chrome, but BETTER!
And there are loads of plugins and add-ons available, should I want them, to custom fit it to my preferences.

Later.... One thing Firefox messes up with is some instances of flashplayer.
Some of my posts contain goear embedded swf files, if i have Adblock plus plugin enabled, these files do not load properly. I can set an exception rule in adblock, for the page, for the element, for the file, but it still won't load. Adblock's f.a.q. says it's firefox, not adblock that causes it.
Mind you, if i disable adblock the music plays.
I don't want to disable adblock, because if I do, I get to see the commercial internet, with advertising all over it. Like people who use other browsers see it.
I don't want to wait for pages to load colour pictures and animated gifs advertising crap I'll never buy.

2 comments:

  1. I use google chrome at home and it worked well for the first few months. In particular, I like the feature whereby they post the sites you frequently visit and all you have to do is click on them. But after a few months, I have had trouble opening some of them, and I do not know why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damnsel,
    That feature of Chrome is also available in Firefox, if you install Google toolbar, and in settings "enable google new tab page", I've never had a problem with it, but then again, I don't really use it much.

    You'll note I've stripped the link out of the comment header, that's because you tried to plant a link to a site with a .ca (canada) domain selling a prescription drug that has a somewhat bad reputation for its addictive properties. I do not wish to have advertising links on my blog, other than to personal sites selling hand-made art and craftwork.
    I'm leaving your comment up and giving you the benefit of the doubt, but the link you left classes to me as comment spam. Please read my views on comment spam in the sidebar.

    ReplyDelete


Spam will be reported and swiftly deleted. I will put a curse upon you if you post spam links.