Friday 30 January 2009

Grapefruit Moon, Tom Waits

Over at Red Dirt Mule there's a bit of a Moon theme going on.... She missed this one.
Well, I dare say she missed a plethora of other moons too, but this one I always liked, by Tom Waits, -others have performed it, Southside Johnny, Nanci Griffith, but Tom's gravel voice is the one that works for me.



Grapefruit moon, one star shining, shining down on me.
Heard that tune, and now I'm pining, honey, can't you see?
'Cause every time I hear that melody, well, something breaks inside,
And the grapefruit moon, one star shining, can't turn back the tide.

Never had no destination, could not get across.
You became my inspiration, oh but what a cost.
'Cause every time I hear that melody, well, something breaks inside,
And the grapefruit moon, one star shining, is more than I can hide.

Now I'm smoking cigarettes and I strive for purity,
And I slip just like the stars into obscurity.
'Cause every time I hear that melody, well, puts me up a tree,
And the grapefruit moon, one star shining, is all that I can see.

2 comments:

  1. another beautiful moon metaphor ... he changed up the last line and sang: "And the grapefruit moon, one star shining, is much too big to hide..."

    i like the thought ... we all, us ani-mules, all are part of one grapefruit moon, one shining star, and no - this mule isn't ever going to get her mule brain wrapped around all the moons she misses .... but that big 'ole moon will always wrap its light around this stubborn mule.

    xxx
    rdm

    ps i like tom's gravel voice, too --- can't imagine any other singing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, he has another Moon song..."Drunk on the Moon"
    Hey souby!

    ReplyDelete


Spam will be reported and swiftly deleted. I will put a curse upon you if you post spam links.