Saturday 18 August 2012

Unintentional Sculptures

One of the many  interesting places I visit at work, on a regular basis, is a warehouse where casting forms are made and stored. Most of these pieces are used to make the foundry moulds for cast-iron pumps and turbines. The people who work there are just ordinary working men. They take the plans from the designers and turn them into three-dimensional forms of the spaces outside a cast-iron part.
And in doing so, they create what to me are artworks to rival any sculptures I've seen in a gallery.
I walk in here, and I imagine just one of these pieces displayed at the centre of an upmarket gallery, spotlit, with people standing around, drinking wine, and discussing the allegorical nature of the artist's message.

I like the ancient look of this, and the form appeals to my potter's heart.
 
 
 
 
 
 

These pieces always make me think of the works of Eduardo Paolozzi.

 Paolozzi
Paolozzi
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment


Spam will be reported and swiftly deleted. I will put a curse upon you if you post spam links.