Thursday 3 May 2012

Healthy Eating?



I was happy to see that in Texas I'll be able to get all those green tasty vegetables that I love,  all fresh and misted regularly with probably nastily chlorinated water. Mmm, multi coloured cauliflowers!

But then I move along a little:


Holey Moley! Prickly things! I'd be scared even to try pick one up and put it in a bag, let alone eat the nasty vicious thing.  Now, when I was a kid, there was a comic with a tough guy cowboy character called Desperate Dan. He was tough. Very tough. He might eat cactus. 

But me? Well... I confess, the idea has entered my head, and there's only one outcome. But raw? steamed? fried? 

"Edible cactus can be eaten raw or cooked. To cook, steam over boiling water for just a few minutes (if cooked too long they will lose their crunchy texture). Then slice and eat! Cactus can also be cut and sautéed in butter or oil for a few minutes.
Steamed cactus can be added to scrambled eggs and omelets, or diced fresh and added to tortillas. They can also be substituted for any cooked green in most dishes.
The pads can be served as a side dish or cooled and used in salads. They taste especially good with Mexican recipes that include tomatoes, hot peppers and fresh corn."

Ah.

" be sure to handle them with heavy leather work gloves and scrub them hard to ensure all the painful little barbs are off. Either way, handle them carefully or with gloves just in case."

Mm.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Hey! How come my photo set doesn't include any healthy green vegies ??? I mean, I know I don't eat many healthy green vegies, but that is no reason to discriminate against me!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete


Spam will be reported and swiftly deleted. I will put a curse upon you if you post spam links.