Friday 20 January 2012

The Allman Brothers Band, jamming at the Fillmore East

The Allman Brothers Band, jamming at the Fillmore East, New York, March 1971, played this.
The resulting live recorded album was released in July of that year. Sadly, only a couple of months later lead guitarist Duane Allman was killed in a motorcycle crash near his home in Macon, Georgia. A year later, another member of the band, bassist Berry Oakley died the same way, less than a mile from the spot where Duane had crashed.

I recall that several of my friends said this track was "rubbish" I didn't agree with them then, and I don't now. I just love this. According to the band this was really jammed, it evolved there and then, on the stage of the Fillmore.
The origin of Mountain Jam was a song by Donovan,

I doubt that many of you will listen to it all. That's okay, I won't be offended.

I think this is a great example of improvisation around a theme.





10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, no usable account...I am taking pottery lessons (in PA US) and have been meaning to look up Isaak Button on youtube per my teacher's advice, and so I did today and so I bumped into your blog today. Very glad I did, though I'm mostly still wading through 2007 :) and Oh, hey, I see you like/appreciate(ed) some Laurere Anderson (used to be a huge fan myself, though a bit bored these days). Anyway, I have been enjoying many of your posts and maybe steeling a few links...

      Elizabeth

      Delete
    2. Well done RDG!
      I knew I could get your attention with music by peach-pickin' boys...

      Delete
    3. And, anonymous Elizabeth, welcome. I've never been to PA., but I did fly over it last year. Wherever there's coal, there's clay. As you can see, I'm a bit of a fan of old mister Button. I just love how he gets on with it, no airs and graces, no need to think of arty justifications.

      Laurie Anderson. I liked her back then, but not in too big doses. She's a very very clever woman, but loopy too.

      Go ahead, steal links, I probably stole them too.

      Delete
  2. I listened to all 4 parts several times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too! I LOVE the Allman Bros. OK, perhaps I don't love them enough to listen to 40 minutes of their drug-shriveled brains telling them to keep on making repetitive noise because it was sounding like really COOL music, man. But that doesn't mean I didn't like them when they were wide awake and kicking for up to 6 minutes.

      Incidentally, Doo-wayne and Greg really WERE born in the back of a Greyhound bus, you know. At different times, of course. But they weren't really rolling down highway 41 until the driver threw them off without bringing the bus to a full stop. Or so the story goes.

      I say post more of this wonderful stuff. I lied about it being boring and repetitious.

      Delete
  3. Max, I'm never sure whether to believe you on anything.
    You are the proverbial agent provocateur.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bass in this is incredibly jazzy to my ears.
    I don't think I've ever heard this all the way through before.
    Other than that, its way too long for me, unless I am naked on a waterbed with some sweet gal, with black lights and lots of herrb in the air, wehich actually now that I think about it sounds very familiar. maybe I have heard this all the way through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best of the jam bands along with Grateful Dead .

    ReplyDelete


Spam will be reported and swiftly deleted. I will put a curse upon you if you post spam links.