Tuesday 6 December 2011

Poo.

How Much Toilet Paper?
The Telegraph has a story that schools in Catalonia, Spain, are trying to keep their operating costs down, by seeking to reduce wasteage and over-consumption.
"The northeastern region has been ordered to rein in its deficit and has embarked on a series of stringent austerity cuts.
The latest edict issued by the region’s ministry of education instructs state schools to cut “excessive consumption” of toilet roll among pupils and limit the quota to a maximum of 25 metres per child per month."  ( 1 metre is approx 39 inches -3ft 3inches)
Wow! Austerity! or is it? Well, assuming children are at school on average for 23 days per month, then that works out as........ 1.08metres, or about three and a half feet of toilet paper per day.
And the school day lasts what? six hours?
Now,  I ask  you, for six hours, do you need three and a half feet of toilet paper? you can't go at home before you leave for school?

It strikes me as not really the shock/horror story the Telegraph would like to pretend.
Spain is, as a nation, in financial difficulty. Not so bad as Greece, but in a tough place and working to keep from getting deeper in debt. If your kid's using three and a half feet of toilet paper, in a six hour school-day, then maybe the kid should learn to use it more efficiently, or maybe, just maybe,if your kids can't learn, then they should take their own emergency supply with them.

In part of my life, I'm a plumber. Most toilet blockages are caused by people trying to flush too much toilet paper.
Dammit, you don't need half a roll every time you go.

3 comments:

  1. But I do, I do, I do need half a roll ... I want to be clean. And us Americans have never embraced the idea of a bidet. I've just learned to 'flush as you go' ... that's what I've taught my children, who are champion toilet stopper-uppers and heinous consumers of toilet paper. I guess the apples didn't fall far from the tree in this case!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 'Telegraph' was once a right wing newspaper. Now it is just another 'Daily mail,' right wing baloney!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Telegraph nailed it this time. I agree maybe it isn't as grave a tissue issue as they make it out to be, at least not compared to Greece, where the mini Greeks have been cut all the way down to .97 metres per school day (1 yard + half a corncob.)

    Ok, you can stop reading now if you don't want to hear a gross joke. But seeing Adullamite here brings out the Scots grossness in me:

    "Thrifty Scots use only one square of toilet tissue per dump. They have managed this by poking a hole through the square with their index finger, wiping carefully and thoroughly, then using the rest of the tissue to clean their fingernail."

    At least that's what Adullamite told me once. Unsolicited.

    ReplyDelete


Spam will be reported and swiftly deleted. I will put a curse upon you if you post spam links.