Saturday 3 May 2008

Whalesong -right now!


Right now.... In my ears. Live. These whales are singing right now, this minute...
I hooked up to a live feed from the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research's marine laboratory in the Antarctic.


Neumayer Station, Ekström Shelf Ice, Atka Bay, north-eastern Weddell Sea.
position: 70°39'S, 008°15'


I started it a few hours ago, forgot about it, there were just random ambient noises, rumbles and creaks, watery sounds.
But! just a moment ago, that haunting sound. Whalespeak. In my room.
Sometimes you hear the icebergs calve. Loud. Right now it's gone pretty quiet again.

1 comment:

  1. This is pretty amazing. I just plugged in too. Initial silence, then ..... whalesong.!!!!! incredible. Thanks for the link...

    ReplyDelete


Spam will be reported and swiftly deleted. I will put a curse upon you if you post spam links.